The GLA:D® program (Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark) is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis (OA) symptoms.
OA is the most common lifestyle condition affecting individuals 65 year of age and older, but can also affect those as young as 30.
Current national and international clinical guidelines recommend patient education, exercise and weight loss as first line treatment for osteoarthritis. In Australia however, treatment usually focuses on surgery and the GLA:D Australia program offers a better and safer alternative.
Background of the GLA:D program
Research from the GLA:D® Denmark found that patient reported symptoms reduced by 32% after partaking in the program. Other favourable outcomes included less pain, reduced use of pain killers, and less sick leave or absenteeism. GLA:D® participants also reported high levels of satisfaction with the program and increased their levels of physical activity 12 months after starting the program. Similar results have also occurred via the GLA:D Canada Program.
This program is unique in that the education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move efficiently, prevent symptom progression and reduce their pain.
What does GLA:D involve?
The GLA:D program is an eight week intervention and includes education and exercise, based on the latest evidence in osteoarthritis research. The program is supervised by a certified GLA:D physiotherapist, with the aim to help patients manage their OA symptoms.
GLA:D® Australia training consists of:
- An initial appointment with a GLA:D certified physiotherapist explaining the program and collecting data on baseline functional ability
- Two education sessions where you will learn about OA, how the GLA:D intervention improves joint stability and can reduce symptoms, and ongoing management following the program
- Group neuromuscular training sessions which occur twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint.
Can I participate in GLA:D Australia ?
GLA:D® Australia is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity or x-ray reports. You may participate in the GLA:D® Australia program if you have a hip or knee joint problem that resulted in visiting a health care provider.
You may not be eligible to participate in the GLA:D® Australia program if you have
- Other sources of knee pain including; tumor, inflammatory joint disease, result of hip fracture, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- Inflammatory conditions that are more pronounced than osteoarthritis problems (for example chronic generalized pain or fibromyalgia)
- are not able to understand english
If you have queries in regards to the eligibility criteria please feel free to contact us.
You do not need a referral from your Doctor to partake in the GLA:D program. However you may be eligible for a rebate from Medicare for some of the cost of the program, if deemed appropriate by your GP.
Find Out More:
Home Health Rehab with commence the The GLA:D program in January 2017. Please contact us further information or to register your interest.